- We help mines to engage with communities and stakeholders in a way that facilitates collaboration and a mutually beneficial relationship: We facilitate communication and relationship building with communities, local political structures and other stakeholders to raise awareness about the investment made or to be made by a mining company;
- We conduct research to inform the mining industry about the prevailing socio-economic issues in the host communities or labour sending areas;
- We monitor and evaluate social and labour plan projects and assist mines to determine whether or not they are meeting the Mining Charter obligations;
- We report to mining industry stakeholders on the progress of projects funded by the industry and on the impact of such projects on the communities;
- We identify and facilitate projects that provide livelihood opportunities and ameliorate the impact of retrenchments, through portable skills and self-employment; and
- We provide community-based health services in areas of prevention, treatment, care and support services and assist ex-mineworkers to be integrated back into their communities.
- We have the ability to implement long-term projects and work jointly with other partners;
- We provide our donors with a portfolio of evidence and reports on a regular basis and constantly keep our donors updated on the implementation of projects; and
- We have qualified programme and project managers who ensure that the projects are implemented according to agreed standards, timeframes and budgets.
Corporate Social Investment (CSI)
- We seek to form partnerships with private sector companies in an effort to expand the reach of CSI interventions;
- We identify and facilitate the implementation of projects that provide livelihood opportunities for communities and marginalised groups in partnership with private sector companies;
- In terms of Socio-Economic Development contributions, we provide businesses with the necessary documentation required for BBB-EE verification. We also provide ongoing information and updates on the programmes/projects and activities supported by business. Thembalethu Development is a Public Benefit Organisation (PBO). Donations to the organisation and its projects are tax-deductible;
- We play a monitoring and evaluation role to determine the impact of CSI spend by corporations;
- We assist the corporate sector in conducting baseline surveys that guide project implementation; and
- We communicate with and inform stakeholders on CSI interventions.